Sunday, July 20, 2008

Why I will Not Go on a Date to Olive Garden


Don't get me wrong, I love Olive Garden……………and similar family restaurants ………truly I do….or at least I did when I was in graduate school. BUT unless we are just friends, do not take me to Olive Garden. No I am not a gold digger……quite far from it. Just follow my logic as I tally up the costs from a woman's point of view:
Dress: $80

Shoes: $75

Cost of getting your hair done (yes, we ladies try to impress the fellas): $55 (for a wash)


Accessories: $70


Pedicure/Manicure/Brow wax: $75


Total Cost of material things: $355, $355 people!!!



Pleasure of my company: PRICELESS!!!!



Yes fellas, we know you love showing us off……….



Now, a date to the aforementioned restaurant or the like will cost the fellas:


Cost of gas: $10….maybe $15 these days


(You do realize he's gonna pick you up unless you detect that he has that "stalker potential.")


Meal (includes appetizers…..salad, breadsticks, no need to order other appetizers): $40


Dessert: $7.00


Drinks: $5.00 (2 sodas)



From a business standpoint, this transaction was a total and absolute loss particularly if the man in question fails to intrigue u…………….or if there's no romantic attraction.



Can you really fault me for turning down a date to Olive Garden? I'm sorry, I'm not that desperate or bored…and I do have a great tendency to bored…..but not that bored.


My personal logic: if a man cannot afford to spend more than $100 (yes ladies, I know this is a measly amount), he should not bother wasting my time or his. I'd rather curl up on the couch and read a good book or better yet, hang out with the ladies.


Or ladies, what do you say!!?!!


This entry was written by Chi Chi, the Chief Editor of www.fabnaija.com


There's no consensus among the editors about this issue. Some of the editors might accept a date to Olive Garden if that's what the poor MOG (Man of God) can afford J. The others are on Chi chi's side.


In the meantime, if you've found your MOG or WOG, please check out www.fabnaija.com to find a venue and vendors for your all important event.



Responses

  1. Frankly a date to Olive Garden is ok with me. Just look at my point:
    Dress: Already in my closet
    Shoes: Also in my closet.
    Cost of getting your hair done (yes, we ladies try to impress the fellas): $35 at the Dominicans with deep conditioning. $30 on mondays
    Accessories: Once again in my closet
    Pedicure/Manicure/Brow wax: Don't do manicures so $30
    Total Cost of material things: $65, $65 people!!!
    Ok I can actually go on this first date and it'll cost me $0.00 because I do these things for myself anyway. He has only seen one outfit in my closet which is what I was wearing when he asked me out. I have so many others in my closet. I think it's ridiculous to walk around like a zombie until I get a date to clean up. lol
    I don't mind Olive Garden because it's nothing fancy with a nasty menu. I always say "START HOW YOU WANT TO FINISH", so if the guy is dumb enough to spend a lot of money on the first date, he either is superficial or confused. I guess am not like others also. This won't last and I don't want it to. I don't like eating out a lot anyway. I like to cook.
    Those things don't impress me much. PAY MY SCHOOL LOANS AND I WILL BUY A DRESS TO IMPRESS YOU. LMAO
    Cindy
  2. Ok I do agree with Diva Chi on this.
    Pleasure of my company: PRICELESS!!!!
    Cindy
  3. I can do olive garden…. Times are hard anyways and why are we spending that much on ourselves just to impress the man. If you knew you were going to olive garden… It ain't worth $355 getting yourself ready.
    Speaking from someone that still needs help in the wardrobe department.
  4. Hmm, Olive garden…
    would I be impressed?….probably not. Is it an outright NO?….probably not. But really, if you want a definite yes, you might want to try another restaurant.
    Plus, I feel Chi chi on this one. If you've met Chichi (aka Princess or Damsel in Distress) and you actually ask her on date to Olive Garden, you must not be serious.
  5. ok…so Olive garden… NO! NO! NO!
    My last visit there was probably in 2004. Just starting out, happy for any type of outing, and a lot less HM than I am now.
    Didn't even pay attention to the prices, but now that I know what the prices are, which I'm assuming per this editorial are current, and have been adjusted for inflation since 2004… I now know why I thought it SUCKED!!!!
    Mind you, I didn't spend all that expense to get doled up….I was way past impressing anyone at that point, but on the priceless pleasure of my company…. I will have to absolutely agree.
    Still remember the look on my face when I bit into the bread….STALE!!!! I screamed, could not have been freshly baked on that day (Background, always been a sucker for freshly baked, straight out the oven warm and squishy bread….yum!)
    Move on to entree….pasta. Can you really mess up pasta? Yes!!! at Olive gardens. Another scream…."PLASTIC!!!" devoid of any taste…."OMG! babe, we are out of here."
    My boyfriend at the time, still trying to salvage what was turning out to be a horrible Sunday lunch experience, begged me to try dessert. I hesistated, then agreed.
    O! It looked so good….all dressed up with chocolate drippings and cherry on the top. I wasn't falling for this set up, so I let him dig in first. He bit into it and then immediately holla'd for the check…end of story.
    We are married now and still joke about our date at Olive gardens…never been back since.
    To Editor—check this…if you're spending all this money to impress and brotha man is taking you to Olive gardens. He clearly isn't tryin to impress you, so take a hint and dress for less or switch up the brotha :-)
  6. How dramatic!!! I thought I was reading a book. I guess I look at a date as getting to know someone not the food. I can feed myself! Jeans a cute shirt would have been fine with heels.
    Cindy, aka Ngozi
  7. Olive Garden is not that bad now! Cindy, I am with you on the getting ready for a date "$0″. If it is Olive Garden that we go to for the first date, no problemo, but we MUST switch it up! Next time, we go to my choice of restaurant. If he is not open to that, we need to revisit the drawing board and see it "drastic measures" need to be taken. (HINT: If he is not accomodating of others' ideas, then chances are he is going to be the cause of loads of headache and misery)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment